Understanding how to integrate with your client’s asset and facility management requirements at first seems like a daunting task, however getting it right can be as simple as asking the right questions.
From the perspective of a project manager or even an asset owner, some of the questions that should be asked are:
- When will the facilities management team get access to the model? Will it be during the design phases of the project, or will it be once the design is complete?
- Will the facilities management ream be able to dictate to the design team what information is incorporated in the model?
- Will the facilities team be able to review the model before construction and commissioning?
- Will the facilities management team own the model when it is completed?
- Who maintains the model once handover is completed?
Then there are questions that the more technically minded team members tend to focus on around information requirements
- What information does the facilities team require?
- Do the facilities team actually need all of this information?
- What data formats does the facilities team require?
- Do they have existing non-BIM facilities packages that require integration into the new BIM enabled system? Can it be integrated at all?
If you’re interested in how I approached the problem of recording existing assets in one of Australia’s largest health precincts, take some time out to check out my AU2018 presentation
With a special guest appearance about halfway through from probably Autodesk University’s most famous cat, Burrito. One of the dangers of presenting remotely.